Monday, October 18, 2010

The Strike (part deux)

Well, we're heading in to week two of the metro strike. It started last Tuesday with more demonstrations full of music, marching, and even free food. The majority of the population opposes the reform Sarkozy is proposing, and therefore support the strike. The story goes that the retirement age from 60 to 62, and one can no longer collect a full pension at 65, they must wait those extra two years until age 67.
A lot of American students I have spoken to are thoroughly exasperated with this issue. "I'm going to have to work til I'm 80," we all say, "62 looks pretty good to me." It's true, the reaction France has had to this idea of Sarkozy's has only reinforced stereotypes of the French: lazy complainers.
On the one hand, it seems futile. Why inconvenience a nation when really, it isn't so bad to work two more years. After all, they are notorious for the 35 hour work week and they are privileged with a great amount of vacation time. It seems unlikely that Sarkozy will change his mind, he's called this retirement issue "non-negotiable," so why all the fuss? The strike is making life a lot harder not for the elite, who are in control of the decisions, but the general, every day people. It's a good idea; rally the everyman together and effect change. Except it doesn't seem like that's happening.
I admire the French for standing up in what they believe in and trying to make a country for and by the people. After all, America had no problem voicing its opinion during Vietnam. Where is our fire now? But on the other hand, I missed out on a trip to Provence because of this! The one place I had my heart set on to visit in France, and I never got to go. I lost a good chunk of euro-change on the hotel as well. Luckily, I will be reimbursed for the tickets, but it almost doesn't matter when I think about everything I could have seen and experienced. This could have been a perfect catalyst for action. Although I'm an American, I could have done some research and found a way to complain or tell Sarkozy, or a representative of my district, that I don't agree with the changes to the retirement age.
But I didn't. As a foreigner, I feel I shouldn't bother in other countries politics, especially when I'm not entirely educated on the subject. But are people in France who do know what's going on taking action? My guess is no. So why go on?
This Thursday there will be a vote as to whether or not the strike should keep on rolling. Of course, everyone from API is praying for an end. As for the rest of the country, I guess we're going to have to wait and see how far they'll go to get their voices heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment