Saturday, November 27, 2010

Family Matters

The last few weeks has been full of family fun! I was lucky enough to be visited by my dad, my mum, my sister and grandpa! My dad arrived first, and we had a whirlwind of a trip. In one day, we covered what seemed to be the entire city! Dad was a trooper, after two flights and a seven hour layover, he still had energy to give me a great big daddy hug, and see the Luxembourg Gardens, St. Sulpice, the Pantheon, Notre Dame, the Louvre, and even le Tour d'Eiffel! We watched it sparkle as we caught up and chilled out (it's getting 'froid' over here!). We heard some great jazz music that weekend and the fog lifted long enough for us to see all of Paris from Montmatre, which Dad loved! It was as if no time had passed, but of course, two months have gone by full of changes and developments. It was surreal at first to be bopping around Paris with Dad, after all, I've had this city all to myself for so long, but at the same time, it felt so normal! I had such a great time, I was so happy to share Paris with Dad. After I put him on the RER back to CDG, I couldn't help but tear up as I walked to the supermarket.
As you read and I write, Mum and Amanda are on their way home to the states (and by the sounds of it, it's not been an easy trip back!) They arrived here last Saturday, fatigued but wide-eyed by the city. I remembered all the planning Mum and I had done, before I was accepted into API and before she knew if she could make the trip, and planning all the things we would do and see. And she was finally here! Amanda had a brief encounter with Paris when she studied abroad four years ago, and it was great to show her around what I feel is now 'my city.' We took a more leisurely pace than Dad and I, since they were spending a few more days in the city, and even had time for naps. It was great to watch Mum's face light up as we came upon Notre Dame, Musee d'Orsay, and the Eiffel. I can still hear Mum's "Oh!" of surprise when she saw the Eiffel begin to sparkle!
After a few girly days, Grandpa arrived to his mother country. Knowing that he grew up speaking French, I was looking forward to speaking with him and seeing his face light up at all the French around him. We went up the Eiffel Tower to the blustering wind his first night here and took in the view. Paris was at our feet, or, 115 meters below them. We dined in our new favorite restaurant, Le Grenier, which we frequented quite a bit this past week. You'll find it on Rue Mouffetard, a charming, winding street in the Latin Quarter, or Stathis will find you and wave you inside - the charismatic and welcoming owner of the restaurant. It's a homey little place, decorated with skiing knick knacks and pictures of the French countryside. If you pass up the boeuf bourginogne (although why you would do that, I don't know) try the Filet of Pork or Confit de Canard. You really can't go wrong, even the avalanche of vegetables is one of the best salads you'll have in Paris. After a generous amount of wine, courtesy of Stathis, the volume and the energy level rises and it's like you're a part of a big family as more and more diners enter and eat. Stathis jokes with everyone and makes sure there is a smile on their face before he chats with the next table. Rick Steeves, why didn't you find this place first?
I returned to Versailles again on Tuesday, with the family in tow. I was particularly excited about this day, since I knew everyone had been looking forward to seeing the chateau. We spent a great, long morning inside, soaking up all the monarchy had to offer. Although I had seen it before, it was awesome to watch my family's jaws drop and their eyes widen.
Wednesday and Thursday were devoted to more sight seeing and some browsing at Shakespeare in Co. I could get lost in that place, you'll never see any part of the walls in there; they're covered in books! It's my kind of place. And they had the homey, squashy arm chairs Barnes n' Noble certainly lacks. And of course, for our Thanksgiving meal and our last meal with Grandpa, we returned to Stathis, our home away from home. There was no turkey, but we still felt festive. Not to mention, there was flaming apple tart ...
As the weather grew colder, I still had that warm and fuzzy feeling only the comforts of home can bring you. Both trips were so special, and I'm so glad we'll have these memories forever. I'm so lucky to have shared these experiences with the people I love! Oh, I mustn't cry again! Although I had to wait most of my trip to see my family, I think it's better this way. Now I only have to wait 3 weeks to see them again! Although, as I walked all around the city this morning, I know that will come all too soon. For now, I'm just glad to have shared the city I love with the people I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment