Wednesday, December 15, 2010

It's Christmas Time in the City...

I just had a lovely Parisian day after class. I went to Notre Dame and took pictures of the Christmas tree in front of it, like everyone else. I strolled down to a cafe decorated for Christmas in Saint Michel and had a chocolat chaud while I perused a magazine and watched all the bundled up people walk along the Seine. I'm going to miss losing track of time in this city.
Many parts of Paris are gearing up for Christmas! In many main streets, including Rue de Rennes right near my school, lights are strung across the street and lit up as soon as it gets dark. They glitter and sparkle, and there are even lights in a swirly shape that has a little glimmer of light spinning from top to bottom. There are trees everywhere, not just at Notre Dame, and of course, almost every storefront has decoration in it. My favorite is a store towards Saint Sulpice with penguins swaying slowly from side to side. It's not very Christmasy, but it's rather adorable. Christmas markets are everywhere! They're a little different from Strasbourg, they sell a lot of what Parisians want; basically anything you can find in a boutique but in a cute little wooden house. Strasbourg had a lot of Christmas memorabilia, ornaments, and the like, and while Paris has some of that as well, you're more likely to do your Christmas shopping in these markets. And of course, there's always a great sweet treat to indulge in! I love that Paris is getting as excited about Christmas as I always am!!

No comments:

Post a Comment